6.25.2008

Dublin

This is a ton of pics from this weekend. Travelling w/Kristen was a blast. All I had to do was show up- she arranged our schedule such that in 2 very short days we saw...
1. Christ Church Cathedral, built 800 years ago (as luke put it--- that is hundreds of years before people knew the earth was ROUND!)
2. Walking tour of Dublin
3. Guinness Brewery
4. Dublin Gay Pride Parade (an unexpected spectacle)
5. Dublin Castle
6. Musical pub crawl
7. Book of Kells (oldest manuscript of the 4 gospels in Ireland)
8. Kilmainham Jail

This is the crypt of Christ Church. 800 years old, and this thing is still held up by these columns. Standing under the church in a crypt of old "remains" was a little creepy.


Beer.


Rain rain go away. I bought an umbrella with sheep on it. As an Oregonian you might be interested to know this was the first umbrella I've bought for as long as I can remember. But the rain was much much worse in Ireland, and I had no hood, no jacket, and no car. So sheep umbrella it was.


In a jail cell. Also creepy.


Having Guinness at the top of the brewery at 11:30 was maybe not the best idea. We had to go get coffee afterwards.


This is posted on trashcans in Dublin, and as far as I can tell, ignored.


We were soaking wet seeking refuge on public transport.


One of my favorite pictures that I took, looking down the cell block in the jail.


For Sarah, whose birthday is March 17th!


Ah, post-guiness coffee.


Dublin's largest ever pride parade marched through as we were trying to assemble for our walking tour of Dublin. I had a laugh remembering the horrified expressions on the faces of my brother and (male) cousin who in their very young adolescent years rode their bikes downtown and inadvertently found themselves amidst a pride parade. Hee hee- I think they learned a lot about diversity that day :)

Beautiful-- this church was amazing.

To me this was worth a picture. I thought the life preserver was a joke, but there are actually several up & down the river Liffey. This river is more like a moat, and I think if you fall in drowning is the least of your worries. Ew.

2 comments:

Ashley Marie said...

Hey! That green shirt with the clouds on it is mine!!! I was looking for that the other day, should have known all those times I stole your clothing were going to come back and haunt me!

Sarah, DOB 3/17/81 said...

I loved the tribute to my birthday!!! I think my very special birthday deserves a trip to Dublin to celebrate when I turn 28! :-)

Sarah