11.03.2008

Thankful for Something New

They say pregnancy changes EVERYTHING! It changes your priorities, your goals, your relationships. They say while pregnant you simultaneously want to kill your husband and shower him with undying affection (ok, well I'm not sure if they really say that). I look at my husband in a new light- I see him for the dad he will be and it makes me love him in a totally new way. They say it changes your relationship with your parents because for the first time in your life you will finally realize how much they love YOU as a parent does their child. And not unexpectedly, it changes your relationship with God. Since I've been pregnant I have never been more thankful or felt more blessed- but yesterday in church I had a whole new realization. I was taking communion and as I did I reflected on how I am thankful to Jesus for my salvation and assurance of eternity in heaven. And it occurred to me, that Jesus also died to save my baby! I know this is not a new concept - Christ died for all people - but he made a sacrifice for my child. And that made me see him a whole new light. I've always been thankful for MY salvation- but when I think about how Jesus died for my mom and dad and husband and baby- wow- that makes me even more thankful. It is like if someone healed your sibling from disease, or granted your hard working parents early retirement, or donated an organ to your friend-or assured them eternity in heaven- you would be so thankful on their behalf, and that is the new way I am thankful to my God.

4 comments:

Peaby said...

that's awesome. I remember when I had the same realization about Jack. I was leading worship before Jack was born and was talking a bit between songs...I remember talking about how God knew my son before we even knew we were pregnant...before we even got married...before we were even born, etc. and then that same thought hit me and I almost lost it on stage...but they totally got it! good stuff...

Ashley Marie said...

Aw=) You forgot to mention Jesus died for your little sister...

Kate & Matt Heihn said...

This is seriously the most intense feeling that has hit me since I got pregnant. We were in church and I almost lost it thinking about this huge insane amount of responsibility that God was giving us. And it was huge that He thought we could handle it and give us that opportunity!!! FYI, my mom made me feel bad for talking about a diaper bag while you were having a theological moment!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, baby girl. You are finally getting it. love mom