12.09.2008

Grace and the F-word

Some of you more altruistic types (well, probably just my mother in law) may be thinking- "Oh! Grace and the F-word. She must mean "faith." Grace and Faith - she is probably going to impart some of the spiritual wisdom she's aqcuired as pregnancy has given her a sense of elevated clarity. "

No- I mean the bad F word. Which is what I REALLY REALLY wanted to say last night as I scraped my brother in law's brand new SUV along the wooden post in his parking lot. I was returning from McDonalds in his car (where the car seats were) with 3 of my nieces/nephews and as I pulled his car into his parking spot I felt this bump- and in a rude voice (I am the worst auntie) I said - Richard! Did you open the car door? And poor innocent Richard looked at me confused & said, No- I didn't! Upon closer inspection I realized I was TOUCHING the wooden post. This is when I really wanted to say the f word. But I couldn't because my kiddies were in the car, and I had just driven them to & from McDonalds with NO HEADLIGHTS ON (in my car they come on automatically...) so I had already endangered their lives, clogged their arteries, involved them in a car accident and falsely accused my nephew of disobedience... I couldn't subject them to foul language on top of all that.

I got out of the car to survey the damage. I hoped for a light scrape...but no. There is a giant dent and 2 or 3 feet of white paint scraped from the post onto the car. Not good.

Then I get back to Chris's apartment, and he is rocking Cassandra to sleep when we come in. So I have to wait in the living room for him to come out so I can confess. A thousand opening lines ran through my mind. None of them seemed right. It was like sitting in the principles office. I knew Chris would be totally cool about it, but I was SO mad at myself! I called Luke in the meantime, and bless his heart, he said he knows an auto body guy that he can trade carpet cleaning with to get it fixed. Then he laughed at me.

Finally Chris came out, I don't even know what I said to him. But here's the point- he was the picture of graciousness. Nevermind I had just violently assaulted the first and only brand new car he's ever bought! He was so easy going about it all. When we went to look at it, he said, "Oh! That dent will just pop right out, and they can probably just buff all that paint off." Which is a total lie, but it was a kind thing for him to say. I think I had steam coming out my ears b/c I was so mad I'd done something so stupid. So I figured it was time to go, and as I left he smiled and said, "Drive Safe!" What a guy. I'll try & get a picture posted - you would be shocked what one little post can do to a nice new car. Luke's calling the shop today to see when we can get it fixed. Sigh.

4 comments:

Peaby said...

I've heard the phrase "pregnancy brain" to describe incidents like that...

K Pitty said...

Aw, Michelle, you crack me up! :)

Ashley Marie said...

Aw=( Would you or Jack be that kind if I did it to you? I think not. Lets all learn a lesson from this! Ha. Plus we don't want your little baby to hear the f-word. That'd be naughty!

Patty & Jack said...

Super bummer!!!!