8.03.2011

BAYLOR is HERE!

I cannot describe this feeling of contentment!

I woke up at 12:30 this morning & decided I had either lost control of all bodily functions or my water broke. Of course there was no sleeping after that, so I got up, showered, made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, coffee, worked for a little bit & then woke up Luke & called in reinforcements around 4am.

The cookies were divine. Since we're at the hospital 3 blocks from home Luke just left to go get me my cookies. And probably to get caught up on whatever breaking ESPN news has occurred in the last 12 hours :)

Sara & Lexee arrived on the scene to stay with Jo, and Luke & I made the quick trip to the hospital.

I had a contraction in the ER lobby, which I'm sure provided all sorts of entertainment for the few people in there. Then we walked to the maternity wing, got checked in, and found out I was a whopping 3.5 cm into this process. No bueno. I requested the epidural, endeavored to be kind to the nurses, and thanks to a little vocalization (I get now why cats have annoying yowls and meows) got some sort of tide-me-over IV drug. It made me feel high as a kite, and took the edge off the contractions. Having had little to no experience with recreational iv narcotics (ok, NO experience), this was a rather interesting adventure. I got very tired and loopy. When Ash showed up, I had to talk to her with my eyes closed because I felt that tired.

And then the blessed epidural. Ah, thank you Lord for medical provisions. It really makes me appreciate my sis & m.i.l. all the more- both of whom labored with NO drugs. Man. They are tough mommas!

So- after the epidural we waited another 2 hours & then BAM! Time to push push push!

Jo required 3 hrs of pushing, this little kiddo evacuated in a quick 15, much to the delight of his momma- and his daddy, who elected to sit in a chair next to my head- as far away as humanly possible from the crime scene.

It was so cool- I got to take my slimy, squirmy, guck-covered baby in my arms and discover that he was in fact a HE--- so neat to be able to tell Luke, "you have a SON!" What a super amazing feeling- until I kissed him on his head & remembered he was indeed slimy, squirmy and guck-covered. Quickly remedied with a few towels though ;)

So we named this little guy Baylor, though not necessarily for the University. I heard the name originally in "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" and fell in love with the name & character years ago. It was one of the few names we could agree on, and was further accentuated by a "unique" middle name: Blitz. I should probably google that - it means something about when the defensive line rushes the offense unexpectedly on the football field. Or something like that. It is not a reference to beer, or as commonly suspected, "Blitzen" the reindeer. If you can believe this, "Blitz" was Luke's idea- not mine. But fine by me- it sounds just fine to me.

Stats: Baylor is 21 inches long, weighed 7 lbs 9 oz, and was born at 8:44 am. ON HIS DUE DATE.

Did you catch that? Both Jo & Baylor were born on their actual due dates. This brings me an unfathomable amount of self righteous pride and feelings of superiority. :)

Here's the before pic- right as we were leaving to the hospital this morning:

Here's the after:

And here's the one pic that landed on my camera today so far without me in it looking not so great or Baylor's little man parts which I prefer not to broadcast across the internet!

5 comments:

Chelsea Heath said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful. And thanks for sharing ~ you are funny. :)

Traci M said...

Congrats! He's beautiful!

Kate & Matt Heihn said...

Beautiful baby and hot mama! I can't believe you are blogging hours after giving birth! I can't wait to meet that sweet boy. Until then, please tell him only good things about his god mama :)

Izzie said...

Yea!! Baylor is here!
Good job Momma

Nina said...

Showers of blessings over you and your family ! A very special blessing over Baylor.A heaven sent precious baby boy.