1.16.2014

Evolution of Purpose

I bought these matching bookshelves when we first got married.  I arranged, rearranged, and re-rearranged the photos and knick knacks on them until I got it just right.  Now they're serving a higher purpose: construction truck parking lot.



We set aside our tax returns when we were engaged to buy this table, which I'd been drooling over for a year.  It was too big to fit in our apartment, so we kept it unassembled in storage until we finally bought a house.  For a good while it was gussied up with placemats, table runners (changed seasonally) and candle sticks.  It has been the backdrop for every dinner and party we've hosted.  Now it is covered in crayola marker marks and stickers. A bzillion teensy tiny sticky stickers.


Up until about 6 months ago we had our mattresses sitting on the floor, college style.  When it came up against couches, chairs, appliances and dressers, the bed always lost out.  I finally found my dream bed on craigslist for a steal, bought it, and painted it.  It is lovely....but hard to see under a week's worth of laundry to be folded (and a baby perched on top of the pile to oversee the folding).


My blessed, blessed claw foot tub.  It was here when we bought the house.  It got an exhaustive scrubbing, new paint job, new chrome fixtures, and was re-plumbed by my two favorite plumbers.  It has a giant crack in the enamel on one end (which I think gives it character) and a pile of toys on the other end (which builds character when you step on them and nearly slip to your death each morning).


And this rug.  A gorgeous wool rug that my parents bought for us for christmas about 8 years ago.  It used to stay clean for days on end.  Now it is covered in pine needles, dog hair, goldfish crackers and children.  Three precious, sweet, wouldn't-trade-em-for-a-clean-house-or-nice-things-any-day children.


3 comments:

Kate said...

Love this, so sweet!

Ashley Ropp said...

This makes me so happy!

Anonymous said...

this is what all parents go through love this blog ooxx mom