1. Always laugh at your husband's jokes. It makes them feel good about themselves.
2. When babies are gassy, press their legs upward & rub their bellies.
3. Laundry baskets are the quintessential packing method for camping trips, car rides, beach days, and even....laundry. They also work as play pens in a pinch.
4. It only takes one consecutive day of McDonald's ice cream with Gram-gram to establish an addiction and tradition so deeply ingrained that your grandchildren will SOB if you promise them their mom will get them ice cream this time, and then McDonalds' stupid ice cream machine is broken.
5. It is preferable, in all occasions, to dress your children alike. Unless you have two boys and one girl- then you go with a theme.
Eh, screw that. Just dress them alike anyway. Katie will get over it.
Well...she might not get over this atrocity:
But look how cute it works for groups of the same gender:
6. Children are best bathed in sinks.
One at a time,
Two at a time,
Or even in the spaghetti pot
7. EVERY baby is the most exciting- no matter how many grandkids you have.
8. Love your in-laws
9. Love your momma
10. If they don't sell it at Costco, you don't need it.
11. The definition of winning is to mop the floor with a foot rag while you're cleaning the dishes. Even her granddaughter has picked up on this habit.
12. Don't fret over perfect pictures. Keep it real.
13. Sometimes suggest and embark on the most ridiculously insane adventures- like taking 8 kids to the zoo. On MAX.
Or five to the beach, a 2 hour ride each way, in a single day, and stop at no less than 4 fast food joints/grocery stores on the way home to get everyone their favorite food.
14. Sunscreen. Always.
15. If you have a sort of gangly foot thing, don't let it stop you from climbing/crawling, dancing or running.
16. If you're going to laugh at people, do it silently so they don't know they're being laughed at.
17. Hold tight to the ones you love.
I love you Sara- Happy HAPPY Birthday!
PS- this is Sara's passport picture, and Dick's very favorite picture of his wife. Isn't that sweet?